On November 1, CMS issued a final rule that updates the CY 2018 Medicare payment rates and the wage index for Home Health Agencies (HHAs) serving Medicare beneficiaries. The rule also finalizes proposals for the Home Health Value-Based Purchasing Model and the Home Health Quality Reporting Program.
CMS projects that Medicare payments to HHAs in CY 2018 will be reduced by 0.4 percent, or $80 million, based on the finalized policies. This decrease reflects the effects of a one percent home health payment update percentage ($190 million increase); a -0.97 percent adjustment to the national, standardized 60-day episode payment rate to account for nominal case-mix growth for an impact of -0.9 percent ($170 million decrease); and the sunset of the rural add-on provision ($100 million decrease).
The Final Rule Includes:
- Patients over Paperwork Initiative
- Annual home health payment update percentage
- Adjustment to reflect nominal case-mix growth
- Sunset of the rural add-on provision
For More Information:
- Final Rule
- Press Release: CMS Finalizes Policies that Lower Out-of-Pocket Drug Costs and Increase Access to High-Quality Care
See the full text of this excerpted CMS Fact Sheet (issued November 1).